Communication Specialist Needed – Asheville
Public Communication Specialist – CICS-NC
Posting Number: 20110656SP
Position Number: 00102835
The Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites (CICS) is a research institute formed through a consortium of academic, non-profit and community organizations with leadership from the University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP) and North Carolina State University (NCSU) on behalf of the University of North Carolina (UNC) System. CICS provides foci for collaborative research and associated activities in support of NOAA mission goals related to meteorological satellite and climate data and information research and development.
Essential Job Duties
The Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites (CICS) Communication Specialist will be responsible for delivering institute information and technical services in a professional manner for planning, writing, editing and producing content for varied audiences and a wide range of stakeholders. Key duties and responsibilities will include the following:
· Develop and implement a strategic plan for communications with CICS-NC stakeholders
· Develop and promulgate information for stakeholder and public use on CICS-NC activities
· Convey program and/or institute information (in oral, written and/or visual formats) to stakeholders at audience-appropriate levels of complexity to ensure understanding
· Contribute to (in-person) event scheduling and planning, including executive board meetings, research meetings, monthly science seminar series, workshops (Dataset Discovery Days, etc)) and other meetings
· Manage (maintain and update) CICS-NC web content
· Understand and translate the scientific content of the institute’s programs into user-friendly materials for distribution/dissemination to stakeholders (consortia members and partners, academia, government agencies, general public, other scientists)
· Coordinate with relevant communication counterparts and other CICS-NC outreach and engagement activities
· Translate written technical or scientific material to graphic design formats appealing to, and usable by, relevant stakeholders. Relevant media outlets may include, but are not limited to Powerpoint presentations, websites, social media (Twitter, Facebook), newletters, press releases, annual report documents, and informational brochures.
· Other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Departmental Required Skills
Training/experience in Communications, Journalism or relevant discipline with professional experience as a communicator in a scientific or technical organization. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with solid interpersonal skills. Demonstrated experience with content management tools and familiarity with graphic design and web development programs. Strong organizational and planning skills. Self directed and professional in all communications.
THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN ASHEVILLE, NC.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or relevant discipline with 3-5 years professional experience as a communicator in a scientific or technical organization.
Master’s degree in Communications or relevant discipline with more than 5 years professional experience as a communicator in a scientific or technical organization. Experience communicating climate science or related information.
For full consideration, applicant must complete North Carolina State University on-line application athttp://www.ncsu.edu/faculty-
Submit all of the following documents and answer all supplemental questions:
CV or resume
Contact information for at least 3 professional references
Applicants selected for interview should be prepared to provide portfolio of sample communication efforts.