Sigma Xi Seeking Web Managing Editor
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, seeks a full-time Web Managing Editor for American Scientist magazine at the Society’s headquarters in Research Triangle Park, NC. American Scientist is an interdisciplinary general science magazine reaching about 65,000 members of Sigma Xi, subscribers and newsstand purchasers.
The successful candidate will have at least three years’ experience in managing database-driven web content management systems and knowledge of the market for general scientific information online. Extensive experience with vendor management, including project specification, budgeting and issues management are required. Demonstrated skills in science writing and editing under deadline, preferably for a nonprofit organization, are indispensable. The position requires tact, patience and clear thinking under pressure, and the ability to manage complex tasks with little supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Research, negotiate, commission, approve, maintain and troubleshoot new functionality and initiatives required by exigency or requested by users, staff and partners. Reconcile competing priorities and communicate clearly with all stakeholders.
• Field and troubleshoot inquiries from members, subscribers, visitors, site licensees, advertisers, external partners and Sigma Xi staff regarding all aspects of the website design and functionality.
• Negotiate with external partners—service providers, CrossRef, search engine optimization services, mobile platform providers, etc.—to ensure smooth integration with the American Scientist site.
• Work with responsible editorial staff to prepare each new issue for its appearance online, troubleshooting challenges as they arise.
• Manage locally hosted advertising on the site and in newsletters for the advertising manager.
• Plan, write, edit, mail and maintain electronic newsletters, coordinating the work of staff contributors as appropriate.
• Plan, write, commission and edit online-only content.
• When time permits, contribute to the magazine.
• Special projects and other duties as assigned.
Sigma Xi and American Scientist offer a collegial working environment, competitive salary and benefits, and the opportunity to contribute to a publication with a proud 100-year history.
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Yolanda Thorpe-Harris, Director of Human Resources
PO Box 13975
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Deadline for resumes is March 31, 2013.
Sigma Xi is an Equal Opportunity Employer.