THE SECOND-EVER, SUPER-HISTORIC: SCONC SCICOMM CONTEST
Science Communicators of North Carolina, the SCONCs, are looking for your best example of science communication for a general audience – writing, talking, filming, animating, illustrating or photographing – about any kind of research in a way that entertains and explains. We’ve got prizes, to say nothing of the fame and prestige!
1st place: $400 and a trophy
2nd place: $100 and a certificate
3rd place: certificate and a sanitized handshake
Prizes will be announced Friday, July 30, 2022.
TWO CATEGORIES: Journalism and Institutional Communications
DEADLINE: June 30, 2022
We will post the 1st, 2nd, 3rd winners in each category and up to three Honorable Mentions on the sconc.org website for all to enjoy and admire – that’s the fame and prestige part. We thank our sponsor, the Burroughs Wellcome Fund, for supporting these prizes.
A FEW RULES…
- Work must have been posted or published between January 1, 2021 and March 31, 2022.
- One winner will be from the realm of journalism and the other from institutional communications.
- Work must be bylined OR include a letter or email of support from your institution indicating authorship.
- Participation is limited to dues-paying SCONC members.* Become a member today to become eligible to enter!
- One entry per person, one piece per entry.
- Multimedia limit: 10 minutes. Written limit: 3,000 words. Excerpts from longer works are permitted.
- Deadline for entries: 11:59 p.m. EDT, Thursday, June 30, 2022.
HOW TO ENTER
Send an email to Karl Bates (email@example.com) that includes:
- Your contact information
- A 1-paragraph pitch of your submission
- A link to where the piece appears, a PDF of a piece (including illustrations), or link to a cloud document.
If your byline isn’t on the piece, we’ll also need a letter or email of support from the institution indicating this is your work.
Deadline for entries: 11:59 p.m. EDT, Thursday, June 30, 2022.
An odd-number of SCONCs-in-good-standing will be recruited to judge and rank entries. SCONC board members and judges may not participate as contestants. The jury reserves the right to not give any award.
*Joining SCONC is easy and cheap