Upcoming Events from the local American Medical Writers Association
How do you market yourself as a freelancer?
January 26 | 6:30pm | An Cuisine, 2800 Renaissance Park Place, Cary
Join us as Tara Hun-Dorris, owner of THD Editorial, Inc., and the publisher of the Peer Referral Network Web site for pharmaceutical consultants, shares tips and tricks to add to your freelancing toolbox!
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Characteristics of a successful freelance writer/editor
- Pros and cons of full-time employment vs freelancing
- Experience vs ambition–what matters most?
- Marketing, networking, and advertising–what are the differences and do I need to do all 3?
- Pitfalls in sales and marketing
- Tips and tricks for a successful freelance career
Register today! http://tinyurl.com/amwacarolinasjan11
Visit the News page on our Web site (http://www.amwacarolinas.org/wp/news) for more information about the event.
Attendees are responsible for paying for their meals.
About Tara Hun-Dorris
Tara Hun-Dorris has been a full-time freelance medical writer since 2004. She is the owner of THD Editorial, Inc., and the publisher of the Peer Referral Network Web site for pharmaceutical consultants, launching in the first quarter of 2012. As a freelancer, Tara has worked on a variety of documents for numerous clients, but she specializes in regulatory documents and also has extensive experience in preparing CME materials, physician-focused newsletters, and advisory board reports. Tara received her master’s degree in mass communications from the University of South Carolina and has a bachelor of science degree from West Virginia University. She is a board-certified editor in the life sciences. She is also a past president of the AMWA Carolinas chapter.
Listen. Write. Present. The Elements for Communicating Science and Technology
Presentation by co-authors Stephanie Robeson Barnard and Deborah St. James
Even the best ideas have little value if they are not explained clearly, concisely, and convincingly to others. Authors Stephanie Barnard and Deborah St. James have extensive experience in training biomedical, scientific, pharmaceutical, and technology professionals to communicate effectively. Join us as they share information from their new book, Listen. Write. Present. The Elements for Communicating Science and Technology. They offer specific, focused advice to help professionals develop, improve, and polish their interpersonal communication, writing and presentation skills.
Learn how to apply communications skills to:
- Manage multiple projects and interactions successfully
- Supervise, persuade, and shape the behavior and performance of others
- Manage time and personnel to meet deadlines
- Collaborate with others at all levels in an organization
- Develop creative solutions for dealing with difficult people
- Build confidence, credibility, and respect for opinions
- Gain support for ideas through presentations and proposals
And much more
Book signing will follow the presentation. Books will be available for purchase.
Date: Thursday, March 22
Author bios are available on the News page of our website (www.amwacarolinas.org).