We are not currently seeking new Board members. Check this page for future openings!
The deadline for the 2022-2023 cycle has passed. Check back next summer!
The purpose of the SCONC internship is to provide interns with practical science communications skills, broaden their networks, and experience and assist in the operations of SCONC. Recurring and frequent responsibilities include website content management and social media assistance, while intermittent responsibilities may involve assisting Board members with various tasks, such as providing event support. Interns receive a full membership into SCONC without a membership fee and also develop portfolio pieces through coverage of SCONC seminars. Interns are expected to attend monthly Board meetings in order to develop an understanding of the operations of SCONC. After a one-year term, the Intern is eligible to become a full Board member, given approval of the Board. Internships are for a one-year term and have an expected maximum time commitment of 10 hours a week, but internship terms may start on a rolling basis.
- Maintain the SCONC website and learn how to use WordPress
- Contribute to social media posting on Twitter and Facebook in coordination with Social Media Officer
- Provide support for SCONC-sponsored events (e.g. setting up, purchasing materials, developing flyers and other graphics, greeting)
- Take pictures at SCONC events and put on website/social media
- Attend SCONC Board meetings
- Attend SCONC-sponsored seminars
- Create content based on seminars, such as blogs, live tweet streams, podcasts, or edited videos
- Gather content and events listings into a monthly e-newsletters to engage members and increase awareness of activities
The full internship description can be found here.