FIRST-IN-HUMANS, THE SCONC SCICOMM CONTEST!
We’re looking for your best example of writing, talking, filming, animating, illustrating or photographing any kind of research in a way that entertains and explains.
TWO CATEGORIES: Journalism and Institutional Communications
DEADLINE: June 25, 2021
1st place: $400 and a trophy
2nd place: $100 and a certificate
3rd place: A certificate
1st, 2nd, 3rd and up to 3 Honorable Mentions in each category will be posted on the website for all to enjoy and admire.
Prizes will be announced Friday, July 23, 2021
We thank our sponsor, the Burroughs Wellcome Fund, for supporting these prizes.
HOW TO ENTER
Send an email to our board member, Karl Bates (email@example.com) that includes:
Your contact information; a 1-paragraph pitch of your story; a PDF of the story, including illustrations; a link to where the story/multimedia appears, or link to a cloud document. If your byline isn’t on the piece, we’ll also need a letter of support from the institution indicating this is your work.
Deadline for entries: 11:59 p.m. EDT, Friday, June 25, 2021.
A FEW RULES…
- Work must have been published or posted between January 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
- One winner will be from the realm of journalism and the other from institutional communications.
- Work must be bylined or include a letter of support from your institution indicating authorship.
- Participation is limited to dues-paying SCONC members.*
- One entry per person, one piece per entry.
- Written limit: 3,000 words. Multimedia limit: 10 minutes.
- Deadline for entries: 11:59 p.m. EDT, Friday, June 25, 2021.
An odd-number of SCONCs-in-good-standing will be recruited to judge and rank entries. SCONC board members and judges may not participate as contestants. The jury reserves the right to not give any award.